Heart attack is one among many cardiovascular diseases or heart diseases which are caused by atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is a process in which an entity known as plaque gathers in the artery walls and narrows the arteries which carries blood to the heart. This disturbs the continuous blood flow to the heart and sometimes blood clots in there. These blood clots, in turn, develop more obstruction for the blood flow and this causes a heart attack which is commonly known as stroke. Most of the people survive after their first heart attack if they get proper treatment in time because generally the first heart attack is not a massive one. But doctors put many restrictions after the heart attack because a heart attack means that your heart is damaged and it is very weak to take any kind of stress.
But in many cases people fail to realize the heart attack and as a result they do not get proper treatment immediately. Improper or delayed treatment in case of heart attack can lead to death, even if it is the first heart attack. So, it is very important for everyone to keep in mind some of the basic symptoms of heart attack.
The basic heart attack symptoms are –
- Heart attacks are not always sudden. In many cases they come with slow pain in chest or back or neck or arms or discomfort in entire upper-body. The upper-body may become numb.
- Problems in breathing ( dyspnea ) and sweating heavily are two common signs of heart attack.
- Lightheadedness, faintness and sleepiness may also occur.
- Nausea and vomiting tendency are common signs.
- Other general signs may be unusual abdominal pain or feeling of dyspepsia.
Heart attack can occur following many reasons, such as, age, ethnicity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, unhealthy diets, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption etc.
However, this is a general account of heart attack. But one should be very careful about himself after a heart attack because it may be the first step to many serious cardiovascular diseases.