Sleeping disorder is a kind of medical condition which involves disorder of sleep patterns. Some of the sleeping disorders may lead to serious health problems with normal mental, physical and psychological functions.
Sleeping disruptions can be caused by various reasons, such as, grinding in teeth to night mares. But when a person suffers from sleeping disruptions due to no specific reason he is said to have insomnia, a specific form of sleeping disorder. In another form of sleeping disorder, known as hypersomnia, people sleep excessively.
Forms of Sleeping Disorder:
Most common forms of sleeping disorder are:-
- Primary insomnia
- DSPS or Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome
- Hypopnea syndrome
- Night Terror
- Periodic limb movement disorder or PLMD
- Rapid eye movement behavior disorder
- Restless legs syndrome
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep paralysis
Symptoms of Sleeping Disorder:
Some of the most common symptoms of various kinds of sleeping disorder are:-
- In insomnia: People fails to sleep or to stay asleep at night or wake up early and feel tired at daytime in insomnia.
- Sleeping Apnea: The primary symptoms of sleeping apnea are excessive daytime sleeping, snoring, snorting and daytime fatigue.
- Narcolepsy: Narcolepsy appears with primary symptoms like excessive day time sleeping, dreaming during short naps, having dreamlike hallucinations and loosing muscle controls.
These are the primary symptoms of sleeping disorder. Sleeping disorder may sometimes become very serious. So, don’t waste time and consult an expert if you see any of these symptoms.
Treatment for Sleeping Disorder:
Treatments for sleeping disorder can be managed in four groups:-
- Psychotherapeutic and behavioral treatment
- Management and rehabilitation
- Other somatic treatment
However, none of the above mentioned treatments are enough for a patient of sleeping disorder. But the selection of treatment depends on the type of sleeping disorder and many other conditions like the patients’ physical and psychological history etc. sometimes more than one treatment methods are combined to treat some serious forms of sleeping disorder.
Somatic treatment and medication is fruitful for some of the sleeping disorders whereas some of the disorders like narcolepsy are best cured by pharmacology. Other forms, such as primary insomnia and chronic insomnia are best cured by behavioral treatment.